We’re no strangers to extreme temperatures and dry weather in Ballwin, and our lips are proof. Most of us experience chapped lips at some point during the year and it’s not uncommon to see lips that suffer from annoying, painful cracks. At our dental office we are very much attuned the oral health needs of Ballwin, so here are a few tips from Dr. Postol about how to keep your lips healthy, kissable, and free to eat and drink whatever you crave!
Do You Have Chapped or Cracked Lips?
If you have dry lips that are chapped, peeling, and/or cracked, you probably already know about it. However, here are some telltale signs:
- Sensitive or painful lips
- Smiling hurts
- You lick your lips often
- Your lips show clear signs of peeling or cracking
- You bleed from the corners of your mouth
- You have open sores or marks on your lips
How to Get Rid of Cracked Lips
Dry, chapped, and cracked lips can be caused environmental factors, such as climate change, sun damage, and wind exposure. Cracked lips can also be the result of skin disorders, side effects, and allergic reactions. Serious conditions such as Sjorgen’s Syndrome, diabetes, STI’s may also cause chronic dry lip problems.
If you are a Ballwin resident that is unaffected by the any of that stuff but still have chapped lips, it may due to dehydration, regular contact with lips from smoking, chewing, etc., spicy food, or poorly-fitted dental appliances.
Here are some tips Dr. Postol for healing your cracked lips:
- Stay hydrated! Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day and be aware of anything else you drink that will dehydrate you, such as alcohol
- Use ointments often, especially before you go to bed. Avoid balms with eucalyptus and menthol
- Don’t lick your lips. As saliva evaporates on your lips, it actually removes moisture from them. Licking your lips makes often will dry out your lips even more.
- Don’t overuse commercial skin treatments such as heavily flavored lip balms and cosmetic makeup.
- Eat right! Diets lacking in Vitamins A, B, C, B2, and E can contribute to cracked lips
- Visit Dr. Postol twice per year for your routine checkups and cleanings. If you are having issues with cracked lips, we can help you during your visits and make sure that you go home knowing how to keep your lips moist and healthy.
Call Dr. Postol to schedule an appointment today!