You should use your teeth only to eat and protect them as best as you can. But accidents happen and they can be scary. If you act quickly and take the first aid steps below, you can save your tooth.
If you chip, break or lose a tooth, Dr. Kevin Postol and team in Ballwin are here to help. Follow these steps and give us a call or come in as soon as you can.
Common causes of chipped or broken teeth:
- Chewing ice, hard candy, nuts, popcorn kernels, and other hard foods
- Clenching or grinding teeth
- Accidental falls
- Car accidents
- Sports trauma such as martial arts, wrestling, football, etc
- Accidents that happen when using teeth as a tool to open bottles, packages; to break tape and tags
First Aid care for your chipped or broken tooth:
- Only hold the tooth by the crown (the edge where you chew) and try to place the tooth back in the mouth where it fell out so that it is level with the other Bite down gently on gauze or a wet tea bag to help keep it in place. Be careful not to swallow the tooth.
- If holding the tooth in its place is not possible, place the tooth in a container and cover with a small amount of whole milk or saliva.
- Or, carry your tooth between lower lip and lower gum or under the tongue.